Pretty Pony Ranch
About Maverick | Stallions | Sale Barn | Mav's Offspring | Gallery | Ranch News | Links | Contact

Pretty Pony Ranch News

Just the daily life on a real ranch in Oklahoma. Not easy, not for everyone but that is where you really find out what you are made of.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Where the Wind Is, Oklahoma, United States

Cheerful, dedicated, positive, talented, gracious, polite, athletic, worldly, hardworking, fun loving, attractive, kind, generous, and more to follow!

Thursday, June 4, 2009

RHAA Rant

Back in 2004, I went to my first WRCA Championship Ranch Horse Show in Amarillo. After watching Martin Black win on two of his horses, I decided right then and there that I wanted to show in the RHAA (Ranch Horse Association of America). I joined the RHAA based in Abilene, TX. in 2005 and have been a good member in standing ever since.

I worked hard getting my Maverick ready to show. He was just a rope horse and needed to learn his lead changes, rollbacks, spins and slides. All I had to learn was how to rope! We worked together and attended our first RHAA shows in 2005. At the time, I qualified for the Cowboy class, riders with less than $500 of earnings in any approved RHAA shows.

Since joining, the earnings levels increased every couple of years from $500 to $1000. Imagine my shock when I heard that for the 2009 show season, the Board of Directors of the RHAA decided to raise the limit to $2500, and the Ranch Hand class when from $2500 to $4500. Now, I have never cashed a check in the RHAA in the 5 years that I have been showing in approved shows. I have steadily improved as have my horses, but have never won a class or cashed a check.

When I heard the rumors that the Board decided at the RHAA Finals in Abilene to increase all the limits in the Cowboy and Ranch Hand Classes, I started calling the Regional Board members that I knew, trying to find out what the justification was for the increased earnings levels. One Board member, who was in Abilene in May, didn't know about the rule changes. The other one I spoke with (who was not in Abilene this year) had "heard they were going to increase" but didn't know what the amounts were going to increase to. I emailed the president, asking him why the board made this major rule change and none of the members knew about it. I was told the Board did a survey, so I asked to see the survey. Well, there was no survey. Apparently other than asking a few friends what they thought, this rule change was based more on a wink, pat on the back and a hand shake instead of asking the largest portion of the RHAA competitors effected by the rule change.

I started digging further only to find out that this rule change effected 78% of the members and that the Board was making these rule changes without even a poll, a survey or a vote, and without even notifying the members prior to the change going into effect. Of all the two dozen or so members I have personally spoken, or emails I have received, only ONE person thought the rule change was good. I have asked to see the RHAA by-laws, allowing the Board to change the rules at will and so far, none have been provided.

I officially requested that this rule change be put on hold until the members could be polled or a survey could be taken. The response was that the rule went into effect immediately and could not be changed.

I suggested, in the future, the Board publish any possible rule changes in the monthly newsletter prior to going into effect so the members could voice their opinions. (One Board member doesn't have a computer and the only place the rule changes are published are on the RHAA web site). No Response.

I requested that the regional directors (there are 4) hold a member meeting at a local shows to keep members informed and to allow the members to voice concerns. So far - No Response.

I requested that the board meetings schedule be published in advance of the meetings so the membership could attend if they wanted to. So far, you guessed it - No Response.

One thing is certain. The RHAA did not like me questioning them. When I started making inquiries, it was clear that I was treading on sacred ground. Being a "foreigner" - a non-Texan, and a women, it was very obvious by the condescending email responses I received from the president that I was just being a thorn in his side. However, I have been paying my membership dues, paying my entry fees and supporting the RHAA since joining. ALL MEMBERS DESERVE TO BE HEARD! After learning first hand how the organization operates, clearly something needs to change. I doubt that I will be as supportive in the future unless the Board starts playing fair. The RHAA is being run like the "Texas Ranch Horse Mafia", where the Board makes decisions that favor a select few friends and not the majority. The curtain they are hiding behind is that fact that the RHAA is a non-profit organization.

If you are a RHAA member, please contact me and let me know if you think this rule change is a good idea or a poor one. Maybe when the RHAA hears from the members, they will consider making changes that will have a positive effect rather than a negative one.

OK, that's all!



Pretty Pony Ranch, LLC © 2007-2008
Home of Standing BH Hancocks Star
Mav's Story | Pedigree | Buckskin Color Chart | Gallery | For Sale | Links | Contact | Home
Site Designed and Hosted by Eclectic-Horseman.com