Pretty Pony Ranch
About Maverick | Stallions | Sale Barn | Mav's Offspring | Gallery | Ranch News | Links | Contact

Pretty Pony Ranch News

Just the daily life on a real ranch in Oklahoma. Not easy, not for everyone but that is where you really find out what you are made of.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Where the Wind Is, Oklahoma, United States

Cheerful, dedicated, positive, talented, gracious, polite, athletic, worldly, hardworking, fun loving, attractive, kind, generous, and more to follow!

Friday, November 21, 2008

Hank at WRCA Ranch Horse Show

Just got back from WRCA Ranch Horse Show in Amarillo. Hank and I were entered in the Cowboy Class. I just love going to this show. First of all, I love watching the Ranch Rodeo and seeing all of the friends I've made throughout the years. It was the first place I showed Maverick and so many people remember him being there. Secondly, it is a GREAT place to shop. The Trade and Trappings Show is one of the best I've ever seen. The only bad part of showing in Amarillo is that I have to get up so early to be in the arena at 6 a.m. to warm up before the class and it is usually so cold.

This year was Hank's turn in the show ring. It was just his third show but I really think he is finally getting what his job is and he is doing it quite well. He never really travels very well, gets lonely without a travel partner and usually doesn't eat well. I try to arrive a couple of days early to acclimate him. Show day comes very early, you feed in the dark and have to be ready to ride in a cold, windy arena at 6 a.m. Hank and I are just not morning people.

We did the reining pattern and his lead changes were right on the money. Hank is not the best spinner but we can work on that. When it came time to call for the cow, you always hold your breath in Amarillo. You can get a cow with firecrackers up their butts, charging straight at you and blowing snot or you can get a good cow that you can show your horse off with. One guy showing got whistled 5 new cows, each one worse than the last one! Anyway, we got lucky and drew a good one. We boxed it a few times then took it down the fence. I remember going down the fence on Maverick. When I would ask Mav for speed, his stride would lengthen but you wouldn't feel that burst of speed. With Hank, you get rocket fire! He just takes off and he is really moving at a high rate of speed. We get the cow moving down the fence and turned, but when I went to turn Hank to the right, his head went up in the air and he kept going straight! I was shocked because this has never happened before! We almost hit the bucking chutes at the end of the arena. I finally get him turned and got back after the cow to make another turn, this time to the left. No problems. Again, one more turn to the right and I can't stop or turn Hank without his head coming into my lap. I looked down and my rein was disconnected from the bit! Now I still have to get my rope down and rope my cow, with one rein. After I get the kinks out of my loop, I ride up, swing a few times, and roped the cow without a problem. I turn and drag the cow. Afterwards, I tie Hank up and try to figure out why my rein came off the bit. Nothing was broken, but the solid ring at the end of the rein chain somehow came off the swivel at the bottom of the bit. I tried getting it back on, my friends tried getting it back on and couldn't do it without two pliers. It was like those puzzles at the restaurants or bars that you have to get two pieces exactly in the correct spot before you can get them apart. It was very strange. We still got through it all without a wreck, we still roped our cow and I was still very proud of my Hankster!



Pretty Pony Ranch, LLC © 2007-2008
Home of Standing BH Hancocks Star
Mav's Story | Pedigree | Buckskin Color Chart | Gallery | For Sale | Links | Contact | Home
Site Designed and Hosted by Eclectic-Horseman.com