Pretty Pony Ranch
About Maverick | Stallions | Sale Barn | Mav's Offspring | Gallery | Ranch News | Links | Contact

Pretty Pony Ranch News

Just the daily life on a real ranch in Oklahoma. Not easy, not for everyone but that is where you really find out what you are made of.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Where the Wind Is, Oklahoma, United States

Cheerful, dedicated, positive, talented, gracious, polite, athletic, worldly, hardworking, fun loving, attractive, kind, generous, and more to follow!

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Back in Colorado..but for how long?

I finally made it back to Colorado, long enough to drop off Hank, check on the mares that are due to foal soon, bail the dogs out of the boarding kennel and sort through the two bins of mail. Oh, did I mention that I took all my Christmas decorations down on Easter weekend? It snowed 2 inches that weekend and I almost didn't want to take Christmas stuff down!

All the mares are doing well and I will be taking a couple of them to the Key Stallion Station and Mare Motel to be foaled out. The older mare, VooDoo, had such a huge Maverick filly last year that needed to be pulled out and I worry about her again this year as she is bred back the same way. She just has the biggest babies.

Next week, I return to Texas for a short two weeks. This next trip, I will take "Rio", my grullo gelding with me. Rio is a 5 yr old, 3/4 brother to Maverick. I don't think he has more that 30 rides total on him. When I see him in the pasture, he is like a shadow of Maverick. I hadn't planned on keeping him but after Maverick died, I just couldn't sell Rio. He has been just hanging out since I've been gone most of the winter. It's time to get him going again and there is no better place than at Martin Black's "boot camp" for horses. It is really nice to be able to expose young horses to different arenas, cow work, roping and reining. All the things a good ranch horse needs to know.

Speaking of good ranch horses, I was so very impressed with one of the 3 yr. old fillies that Martin started in March. With just 12 rides on her, Martin took "Bunny" out to the cow field and heeled three heifers. Until that day, she never even had a rope swung over her head before! She was calm and confident. She's been ridden over hill and dale, water and rocks. She is really doing great and ready to go to the spring brandings.

Much more to mention, but check back for news on what I bring back from Texas the next trip!



Pretty Pony Ranch, LLC © 2007-2008
Home of Standing BH Hancocks Star
Mav's Story | Pedigree | Buckskin Color Chart | Gallery | For Sale | Links | Contact | Home
Site Designed and Hosted by Eclectic-Horseman.com